Wednesday, July 14, 2010

RUNZA

I'm sure most of you know that I married a Husker, which makes football season pretty interesting and a lot of fun! Every summer since we have been married, Adrian, myself, and Molly (once she arrived) have made the trip up to Nebraska to visit his family. Along the way, Adrian has his food stops that we have to make - no questions asked. There is Taco John's for potato ole's, Amigo's for cheesies, Valentino's for the pizza buffet, and last but not least his favorite spot... Runza! We had our trip all planned out for this summer and were getting excited to pack up and go. It was going to be the three of us, Adrian's sister Sara and her little one MC all in the mini heading off to "God's Country" (that's according to Adrian). Well, my doctor had other plans and told me to stay put here in Oklahoma. I was too far into my pregnancy for her to feel comfortable to let me be 8 hours away :(. Sadly, Adrian, Molly, and I had to cancel our trip and stay behind this year while the rest of his family headed north...bummer! Adrian's mom, a.ka. Daisy, came home from Bertrand (the town where Ad's aunt, uncle, & cousins live and where we visit every summer... population 640) with a recipe book called "Celebrating 125 years of Kitchen Keepsakes." I was scanning through and found a recipe for Runza casserole. I tried it out tonight and it was pretty tasty. Even though it wasn't the real thing, it got Adrian's approval. Since we weren't able to go this year, I was still able to bring a little of the Nebraska flavor into Oklahoma!

Runza Casserole


1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
1/2 head of cabbage
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans crescent rolls
1 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Brown beef and drain. Chop cabbage and add to ground beef, cook until cabbage is tender, add salt & pepper. Add cream of mushroom soup. Press one can of crescent rolls into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Spread beef mixture on top of the rolls. Sprinkle cheese on top and top with other can of crescent rolls. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love Runzas. I can't wait to try this recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. does this recipe book have any more easy quick yummy recipes?!

    ReplyDelete