Growing up I always loved severe storm season. I can remember watching Gary England and hoping to hear "Seminole County take shelter..." crazy I know, but for some reason it was fun to pack up snacks, my favorite stuffed animal, and walk up the street to our neighbors house in case we needed to go into the cellar. I think the reason I never felt extreme fear was because of what my mom always told me. She said that the Seminole Tribe settled in the area of Wewoka because it was on a bluff, and the bluff would keep bad weather from being able to get to us. Not sure if she was just saying that or if it's true but I never had a fear of storms... until NOW! Once I had children, moved away from the safety of the bluff, and decided to build a house in what seems to be a favorite path for tornadoes I am terrified of severe storm season. Last year during a tornado filled day our cross street showed up on the TV with an ETA and I about had a panic attack. Luckily we had loaded up earlier and headed to a friends home that had a shelter so I knew we would be safe but in that moment I decided that we needed to have a better plan. So we pinched our pennies and saved enough to install a shelter right in our own garage! I was SUPER excited the day they came, like Christmas morning excited.
| garage floor before installation |
| there's our shelter out on our sidewalk!! |
| step 1: cutting the cement |
| step 2: removing the cement |
| step 3: digging the hole |
| while they were installing the cellar, Molly had some Play-Doh fun! |
| still digging.... |
| all the dirt that used to be under the garage! |
| Molly loved to sit and watch from the back door... |
| This pic can give you an estamite on how deep it is - about 5 ft. |
| step 4: in she goes! |
| It's in! After they dropped it into the hole it was sealed with cement and the top door was put on. |
No comments:
Post a Comment